The Acoaxet Chapel
36 Howland Road
Westport, MA 02790


Home   Who We Are   Directions   Ceremonies   Calendar    Links   Contact Us

History


Old Chapel

The Acoaxet Chapel got its start in the 1840s when area families started meeting for services and fellowship in each others' homes to save a four hour ride to the nearest chapel.  In1872, headed by Frank Howland, the Acoaxet Free Chapel Association was formed.  The Association purchased a one-half acre lot from Gideon B. Peckham for $35 and ground was broken on January 23, 1872 for the Chapel.  The cost at that time was $1317.04 to build the 30-by-40 foot Chapel.  Approximately ten years later, the Chapel burned to the ground under "mysterious circumstances".  The Chapel was rebuilt in 1882 to the original specifications.  The original carriage house was converted into a building in the 1920s, and is used for suppers, Sunday School and meetings.

The Chapel was originally open for summer months only, with a Singspiration service to celebrate the end of the season at the Chapel.  It was decided in 2007 that the Chapel would remain open year-round, with both morning and evening worship services and a full-time pastor.